Health and Nutrition Technical Advisor
The Health and Nutrition Technical Advisor is responsible for providing a strategic direction to IOCC’s Health sector programming in accordance with IOCC’s strategy, international standards, and best practices in Health. S/he is responsible for overall program technical design, development and implementation of the IOCC health and nutrition portfolio in Syria, as well as providing guidance and training to IOCC and partner staff. The Health Advisor will specifically focus on addressing primary health needs at the community level in Syria and provide quality assurance at both project and country levels. The Health Advisor plays a key role in representing IOCC at key cluster and donor meetings and liaising with USAID-OFDA, UN OCHA, UN agencies, as well as various NGO partners. The Health and Nutrition Technical Advisor reports to the Syria Program Manager.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management and Leadership
- Lead the development of IOCC health and nutrition strategy in Syria and ensure compliance with IOCC and inter-agency sector working groups and adherence to international standards and best practices in Health.
- Provide technical advice to IOCC and partner staff on health and nutrition issues in Syria
- Design health and nutrition projects in Syria and develop proposals and concept notes and liaise with donors on technical aspects in consultation with the Program Manager.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the IOCC and partner program team to achieve agreed targets and strategic objectives, as well as build the capacity of IOCC’s partner staff in Health program implementation.
- Oversee IOCC health and nutrition project implementation in Syria and ensure quality implementation and compliance with international standards and sector working group guidelines.
- Liaise directly with other program units and external actors to ensure that IOCC health and nutrition programs follow internationally recognized best practices as WHO and SPHERE standards and Inter-Agency Standing Committee guidelines.
- Ensure all IOCC programs in Syria are applying best practices and are in line with global priorities and industry standards.
- Liaise with the Regional Technical Advisor on Health and Nutrition to ensure consistency with IOCC health and nutrition strategy.
- Ensure regular staff trainings and refresher sessions to maintain a high standard among staff.
- Contribute to monitoring; evaluating and documenting program implementation against indicators.
- Advise Program Manger regarding activity progress and make recommendations for course correction, as needed.
- Represent IOCC in technical meetings and coordination platforms including UN clusters and sector working groups, and align IOCC sector strategy accordingly.
- Ensure that health and nutrition information is used effectively to advocate on important issues as well as longer term planning for target populations.
- When possible, visit project sites to develop plans, new proposals, monitor progress and ensure project implementation according to the contractual requirements of the donor(s).
- Manage project activities remotely and provide effective guidance to the team on-the-ground.
- Submit regular reports to the Program Manager regarding progress in attaining project goals, objectives and indicators and find solutions to potential challenges in project implementation.
- Write and participate in the preparation of project reports to HQ and donors
- Identify health and nutrition funding opportunities with local and international donors, such as USG, European, ecumenical partners, UN agencies, and International NGOs
- Maintain a positive working relationship with donors, national and regional governments, NGO, public and private sector partners involved with health and nutrition.
- Build IOCC’s health and nutrition program through donor engagement, project design and proposal development, in collaboration with field staff and HQ and in accordance to IOCC strategy and donor requirements
- Undertake and assist with assessment of local conditions resulting from emergency situations affecting communities and vulnerable groups, including determination of priorities for interventions.
Qualifications and Requirements
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience implementing preventive and community-based mother-child health and nutrition programs in conflict settings, preferably at managerial level in country of assignment.
- Prior work experience in the Middle East with International NGO or another international agency desired.
- Ability to perform well as member of a team.
- Experience managing, training and coaching staff on Health issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and program planning skills.
- English is required, with strong writing skills; Arabic language would be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
Master’s degree in health (MPH) or related field
Please send your resume/CV with a cover letter stating your salary requirements to email@example.com.